Wednesday, February 12, 2014

2013: Journey from the Mojave Desert to the Black Hills of South Dakota

There are four of us.  We started out in the desert near Las Vegas. 
 I have been working with showgirls at night and training dogs and horses during the day. 
 The other three are dogs.  
Border Collie Shadow, 
Husky Loki, 
and mischief maker Ash.
 These dogs have been pulling, herding, practicing for agility, nosework, and obedience competition, teaching classes, and keeping me company.  A fun and busy life for all four of us.

Asia, Shadow and Loki resting with two desert bikejoring teams
Dogs from back to front: border collie Shadow, husky Lucia, husky Loki, husky mix Freya, maligator Minion, and dal/pit Buddha.  One human female- Asia, your blogger and artist

Oil Painting "Backyard" 2001, private collection
I didn't have a lot of time for art but I got a few pieces done each year.

With a dozen beautiful horses to choose from, grey arab Destiny was my special horse from the time she was two years old.  I practiced Equine Massage, Saddle Fitting, learned riding and vaulting, and helped to develop rider training and balance classes as well as learning everything I could about horses and how they work.

Destiny also inspired some paintings
Oil Painting "Desert Bred: 2009, available for sale

2013: time to start over.
 I thought about what I wanted to do and where I wanted to be. The one place that fit was the Black Hills of South Dakota. I grew up here and never got to explore the way I really wanted to.  The hills inhabit my dreams and my map of them has huge gaps.  I still have family here and feel a connection with the land.  Fun things have been happening in the nearly twenty years since I have been gone.  It seems like time to come back and explore!  I said sad goodbyes to Destiny and her herdmates, and to the dogs I had to leave behind, then packed up my belongings and three dogs set out across the country.

Desert raised dogs were very happy to see snow- and look!  you can eat it too!

We arrived in South Dakota to meet the dog cousins- two fabulous Australian Cattle Dog girls.

New artwork is being inspired by the places and animals I see
Oil Painting "Wolf Run" December 2013, private collection
cast Relief Sculpture "Mustang"
 February 2014 limited run available

I invite you to follow me as I explore the land, people, and animals of the Black Hills of South Dakota!



No comments:

Post a Comment